Freeport United Soccer Club coaches are all volunteers. Our coaches are registered with Soccer Maine and submit a background check every two years. This is required as an affiliate of Soccer Maine and US Youth Soccer, and is a Kid’s Safe Program. Adults are not permitted to participate with youth if they do not have a valid background check on file.
In addition to a background check, all coaches must participate in the annual SafeSport™ and Concussion Training Programs. The annual SafeSport™ training aims to prevent abuse in sport by training coaches to be aware of and recognize the red flags of emotional, physical and sexual misconduct, and what to do if abuse does occur.
The annual Concussion training program includes
- What is a concussion?
- How to recognize the signs and symptoms associated with concussions.
- Keys to minimizing the risk of young athletes sustaining concussions.
- Steps for dealing with a suspected concussion.
- When it’s safe to allow a player who has suffered a concussion to return to play.
Coach Code of Ethics
Fall Soccer 2022 Handbook
When requesting a time change for a scheduled game:
- Notify your opponent that you may need to switch (coaches emails on Soccer Maine website) make sure it works for them first.
- Notify Ray Grogan of requested time; he will coordinate field assignment and referee assignment/confirmation
- Same week request must be in prior to Tuesday at 8pm
U.S. Soccer is committed to providing all coaches, from beginner to advanced, with education tailored to their experiences and the needs of their players. The Coaching License Pathway consists of a series of courses designed to meet the specific needs of a coach at every step of the way. U.S. Soccer believes education is a journey, and our goal is to provide the necessary tools, guidance, and mentorship a coach requires along their way.
Each of these educational opportunities is available on line in the US Soccer Learning Center. The Courses are tailored around four Grassroots game models: 4v4, 7v7, 9v9, and 11v11. These course options will offer coaches the chance to learn more about how to develop a player-centered approach to coaching.
The online version of a Grassroots license takes approximately 3+ hours to complete. US Soccer charges $25 to take the online license through the DCC. The $25 fee allows you to access the DCC for online drills and coaching tips for the year.. FUSC will reimburse the full amount of the cost for the certification. Coaches will learn more about U.S. Soccer’s Coaching Education philosophy, Play-Practice-Play Methodology, and the Six Tasks of a Grassroots Coach among other topics.
Introduction to Grassroots Coaching
Link to US Soccer Online Coaching Certifications